What do you get when you book a lesson with me?
- The service I provide to you starts well before the day of a lesson and continues well afterwards.
- Initial training takes place in your own home, where you and the dog feel most comfortable and where most training will take place.
- I provide a comprehensive and personalised service before, during and after a lesson and provide you with a complete written record of what we are going to do, why we are going to cover the exercises, what we covered during the lesson and the homework you need to do before the next lesson.
- I maintain detailed records of every lesson and prepare personalised training plans for every client.
- I remain available to you at no extra charge after a lesson for telephone / email consultations to help resolve issues.
- You remain in complete control of the training schedule. There is never pressure from me to have another lesson. You call me when you are ready for another session, not when I am ready.
- My rates are lower than most. I offer discounts for multiple lessons.
No other trainer I know provides such a comprehensive service. I urge you to contact my other clients to find out the levels of service I provide. I would be happy to provide contact details.
If you approach me with a training inquiry, the first thing I do is send an email explaining who I am and what I offer. I will also make it clear from the outset that I work on a rewards and corrections basis for the dog. I encourage you to research me and my methods and approach any of my former and current clients for their opinions. I will ask you to prepare answers to a host of questions such as;
What do you want to achieve with your dog? Are you able to devote time to training and, together with others who handle the dog, be consistent? Is the dog to be used as a gundog or as a companion pet? What is your attitude to correcting the dog? Do you allow the dog free running in the countryside? What are your routines? Are there any other animals in the household?
and many more ….
This allows me to build up a picture of you and your household, your attitudes, concerns and ambitions for the dog. In turn, this will allow me to target your needs with specific and bespoke training exercises.
If you agree to give my methods a go, the first session lasts about 90 minutes, the first 30 of which are spent without the dog present. The first few lessons are always spent at your home talking to all the family. The home is where the handler and dog feel most comfortable and it is where the majority of training takes place. I believe that by involving everyone in the family (and not just the primary handler and ensuring everyone is working together to agreed rules), the dog stands the best chance of not receiving mixed messages when in the home environment. I find out answers to all the questions I posed in my initial email and explain the need for consistency, boundaries, limitations, rewards, corrections, affection, discipline and all the other human inputs that shape the behaviour of your dog. I stress the principle that I will not be training your dog, I will be training you.
I then ask to see your dog and demonstrate the exercises, explaining what and how throughout. I then ask you to take over and do the same exercises whilst I coach you, offering reassurance and instruction. Training sessions are very much tailored: the experience and natural ability of the handler; the breed, age and personality of the dog, what you want to achieve – all these will affect the content and pace of the lessons I offer.
I use target training as the foundation for all dogs. This involves the use of a placeboard or equivalent. A quick check on Google will tell you more. I bring placeboards with me and, assuming you want to continue with this method, I will lend you one until you can source your own.
At the end of the session, I ask you to let me know by email if you wish to continue having lessons with me. Regardless of your decision, I send you a long email explaining all the exercises that we covered with explanations, tips and hints, together with a training programme I would advise you to follow. I also offer the opportunity for any client, past or present, to call me at any time for training advice. I do this because I genuinely want people to succeed and am prepared to give up my time and provide advice whenever required.