It’s now three weeks since Poppy emerged from a blackthorn bush with a pheasant – but minus a bit of her nose.
It’s been slow to heal, but two courses of antibiotics have finally brought the infection under control. But there is no sign yet of fur growing back, leaving the area vulnerable to further damage.
So, do we wrap her in cotton wool and wait until she is 100% fit again (which could take weeks) or do we accept that this is what spaniels (and I) love doing and manage the risk as best we can?
I know what Pops would decide to do if it was up to her!